The sounds of champagne…. Pop. Fizz. Clink…. goes hand-in-hand with thoughts of celebrating. And, with the holiday season upon us, there is no shortage of celebrating! I wanted something special to wear to the parties in the upcoming season and went searching around Joann Fabrics for some inspiration.
I came home with an assemblage of goodies that I used to create a clutch pocket-book! I’m slightly obsessed with the goodies that I found to make this process happen. As a warning, this tutorial is a little long, but I promise, the process itself is quite easy.
The first thing I found was this clutch handle from a company called Everything Mary (I can’t seem to find it online, but I bought it at Joann Fabrics). It has little holes along along the top, so you can hand sew any fabric into the top.
I bought 1/4 yard of gray cotton fabric with small sparkly triangles on it.
I placed the top of the clutch on the fabric and drew the shape clutch that I wanted, leaving some extra on each side for sewing it up. I folded it in half at the bottom and cut along the slides of the bag. I left the bottom un-cut, as this will eventually be the bottom of the bag.
From one side, the cut piece looked like this…
And un-folded it looked like this…
Next, I found Lumi Inkodye snap packs (the price keeps on changing on Amazon, but I bought it for around $3 or $4) (affiliate link). I had never even heard of these before, but they are amazing (!!) – simply put, they are dye packs that are sun activated. The same UV rays that make you tan activate the dye from the packs. As a result, anything that you use to block the sun will leave that section un-dyed.
Using my Silhouette Portrait (I cannot get enough of this thing… I seriously don’t know how I did crafts before it!) (affiliate link), I typed out the letters I wanted so they would be width of the clutch. If you don’t have a Silhouette, you can of course use scissors to cut out the shapes you want.
I printed them on vinyl paper (affiliate link) so they would stick (even if was loosely) to the fabric.
Finally, it was time to have fun with the dye! I laid my fabric down on cardboard and spread the dye all over the fabric. Once I was sure the whole surface was covered, I dabbed it with paper towels to make sure the fabric was wet to the touch but not soaking wet. Finally, I put my vinyl in place & moved the cardboard outside.
It was one of the few cloudy days in sunny Southern California, so I was worried the process wouldn’t work correctly. But after 30 minutes outside, I was shocked to see that the dye had developed into a dark grayish color! This is what it looked like after 15 minutes, you can see the color beginning to develop.
After removing the vinyl, I rinsed the fabric in warm water and waited it for dry.
Next I used a simple and needle and thread to sew up the sides of the clutch.
After it was sewn up, I turned it so that the proper side was showing outwards & attached the top of the clutch.
Now I’m all ready for some funnn celebrations!!